Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Beginning of TYA

As many of you know, my winter term project this year is coordinating a committee on Gender Issues at an international youth political conference in the Netherlands. During last January, I was the deputy president for the previous conference (which meets anualy) and this conference intself will mark my fourth THIMUN Youth Assembly experience.

For those of you who don't know, the conference (which is different than it years past) is basically focused around the idea of equipping [future] youth actors with the skills and knowledge to create and implement, from scatch, a political project (such as an awareness campaign). The participants are given advice on how to craft a project in a specific topic (ergo the different committees) but the end-all-be-all aim is that they will technically be able to transfer the skills to any sort of thing they are interested in doing.

Anyways, the conference started earlier today (actually yesterday, I just forgot to post this) with a very nice opening ceremony followed by a conference wide 3 course meal at a local Dutch restaurant. Due to some transportation issues I unfortunately missed the opening ceremonies but I did make it for the dinner which was very nice and by the end of it I was already befriending some of my participants.

After the dinner, many participants were eager to hit the bars (those not from Europe edging to get the full European experience and those from eager to get some non-european experience ;p) but as I was rather overzealous with my bar hopping the night before I opted to return to the apartment I am renting with a few friends for an early night.

Over the next week or so, I will be spending approximately 9 hrs a day with my participants and fellow coordinators and in honour of this I have decided to maintain a daily blog of my exploits of the conference both in and out of the committee itself. This will not only serve as a nice little update from me to you about the fun that is my old home but will also probably form the basis for my WT report.

enjoy.

p.s. sorry about the rambling nature, it was very late and lets just say I have not been getting the requisite amout of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment